FAQs Truck Licence
- When do I need a bus or truck licence?
You will require a bus or truck licence if you are required to drive a vehicle with a gross vehicle mass (GVM) greater than 4.5 tonnes or buses which seat more then 12 adults.
- Is my Victorian licence recognized by other states?
Yes it is. The licence is recognised throughout Australia however you wish to move interstate, you will need to get a licence relevant to that state.
- How do I train for a bus or truck licence?
Firstly, you must have a current Australian car driver licence for at least 12 months prior to going for your LR or MR licence. Your next step is to purchase and study The Victorian Bus and Truck Drivers’ Handbook which is available from Vic Roads and the RACV shop. The last step is to complete some physical driver training with Vic Roads or an accredited training and testing provider.
- If I have a friend or relative with a bus or truck licence, can they help train me for my truck licence?
Yes as long as the person has a current Australian licence for the type of vehicle you wish to drive.
- What is included in the test?
You must pass the driving test and off road skills test in the category truck you wish to drive. You must also pass the written knowledge test based on information from The Victorian Bus and Truck Drivers’ Handbook.
- Can I drive any bus or truck?
No, you can only drive the vehicle that you have received your licence for. All other categories require other tests and assessments.
- Are there any driving laws specific to trucks and buses?
Yes, if you are driving a bus or truck over 15 tonnes GVM you must always carry your licence and have a zero Blood Alcohol Concentration
- Are there restrictions to driving different types of transmission vehicles?
Yes, your licence specifies which transmission you are able to drive. Code ‘B’ = Synchromesh Gearbox or Automatic Transmission only. If you wish to drive a non-synchromesh road ranger vehicle, you will need to be re-tested for this transmission type.
- Can I tow trailers on a rigid category licence?
LR, MR, HR licence holders can tow trailors up to 9 tonnes GVM however national load and mass limits apply.